Ahhh...all about makeup brushes.
This is my all time favorite topic to talk about in the beauty world. I have a serious passion for a well-made brush that does the job, and stands the test of time. If it also looks beautiful on my vanity, sign me up for a lifetime of dedication.
People are always so surprised when I tell them you really only need 5 brushes for your everyday makeup. Really! I have done plenty of makeup jobs professionally where I only used 5 brushes, or even less! Of course, I carry about 100 brushes with me at all times when working, because I love having that one perfect tool to get the job done right. But for my own personal day to day needs, I have 5 in my bag, and that's it. Surprised? Let me explain which are essentials and which you can just toss out immediately.
First, any of the sponge applicator thingys that came with your eyeshadow- toss in the garbage. These are the absolute worst for applying shadow. They can't be washed thoroughly, so in my book, it's a no go.
Okay, now that we got that out of the way, what do you need to start your brush collection?
Here's my top 5:
- Foundation/Cream Color Brush: IT Cosmetics Heavenly Luxe French Boutique Blush Brush #4 . I love, love, love this brush! Sometimes I find a brush that I just absolutely adore and I use it constantly. This brush is one of them. I use it for foundation, cream blush, cream or liquid highlighter, and cream contour/bronzer. It’s the perfect size and shape, and at $34.50, it’s a great deal.
- Powder/Blush/Highlight Brush: Makeup Forever Precision Powder Brush. I tend to not look at the names of brushes and rather just find the right shape and bristle type for the job. This brush says powder, but I use it for everything! Powder, bronzer, cheek color, highlighter, etc. It’s a staple in my pro kit, and I really find myself reaching for it all the time. It is $52.00, but this brush lasts and lasts, and if you use proper care, it will last you for years.
- All Over Eye Color Brush: Charlotte Tilbury Eye Blender Brush. This brush has heavenly bristles that blend eyeshadow beautifully on your lids to create a soft wash of color all over, or gives soft dimension in the crease. I use this brush everyday on myself to give my eyes more definition. It’s also the perfect brush to blend a more complex eyeshadow look. I just use it clean to marry all my shadows together. $34.00.
- Crease/Smudge Brush: Makeup Forever Precision Blender Brush. This is my favorite eye detail brush. I use it for applying crease color, adding a pop of highlight in the inner corners of my eyes, and smudging my lash line. When I have more than 10 minutes to do my eyes, I use this for date night smokey eyes or a soft daytime eyeshadow, paired with a bright lip. For $25.00 it’s great quality and will always be a workhorse brush in your arsenal.
- Double Ended Brow/ Liner Brush: Anastasia Beverly Hills Duo Brush #12. This has quickly become one of the most used brushes on set. I start every single makeup application on my clients, as well as myself, with a good brow brush, with the spooly side of this brush. It helps brush away debris in your brow hairs, and get them all going in the same direction. Then I can see what I am working with to get the brows in tip top shape, and decide what I will need to fill in the brows if needed. The other end of the brush is flat and slanted, just the right shape for either applying brow color, or cream eyeliner. If you’re looking for a cat eye as sharp as glass, this is the right tool for the job.
Enjoy Beauties! To read more on my blog about brush care, go here!